Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Traveling Transitions

I was a bit sad to leave Thailand-- in part because going to China was a bit of a tough transition... quite literally. I received an email the night before that my first flight was cancelled. I was rescheduled but on a flight that would make me miss my second flight. After quite a few phone calls I finally got a new flight, but, it would still be very close. When I learned my bag wouldn't go straight through I was sure I wouldn't make it.

Thai Airlines came through. Upon arrival in Bangkok I was met with a sign and a small army of Thai airlines workers... about 8 of them. We walked briskly through the airport, got my bag, was met by another Thai Airways person for my ticket, went through priority immigration and security and made it with five minutes to spare.
Source: Wikipedia.comRun Run Run

Big Bird & I had something in common:


I made it to Shanghai-- "in China!"

Chinese culture feels quite foreign to me. But unlike in India, at least everyone isn't staring... at least not as much. Since I've yet to find anyone that speaks any english-- I can make my mistakes in peace.

I do have a confession though. I don't particularly like Chinese food. Everything is eatable here, which makes the old "blindly pointing to Chinese menu" a rather dangerous sport. You don't know the animal or the part of the animal until it arrives. But even then, I frequently didn't know what I was eating even after I had finished it.

The most frustrating part of it, though, is that I can tell it was dreadfully unhealthy and it then had the audacity to not be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment